Tuesday 13 September 2011

Ahoy the good ship Talia...!

Earlier this year I had the good fortune to be invited to help crew a Catamaran for 10 days off the south coast of England. I had done some sailing in my years but these seafaring ventures were brief, few and far between. Clearly, however, I had involuntarily painted a different picture when in my alcohol induced state I discussed my love and experience of sailing with exaggerated aplomb through new forged friendships on a skiing holiday in Italy New Year 2011.


So when the invite landed in my inbox a few months later I gladly accepted with the hope that my 4 fellow crew mates were all "Old Salts" as it were and that a 5th member was more of an added bonus than a necessity. How wrong I was....!
Talia
On arrival I was informed that 1 male crew member had suddenly "abandoned ship" before even climbing on board due to unforseen cirumstances. This left a crew of 4 consisting of 1 male and 3 females. Our Captain (the only male) and Catamaran owner had thankfully 10 years sailing experience behind him. The other 2 crew members also had clocked up a fair few hours on the ocean waves. And so with my best barefoot forward I rose to the challange ahead and prepared myself to be "thrown in at the deep end" as it was quite literally "all hands on deck" for the next 10 days of our advenure at sea.

Harry's Rocks
Talia
 

Yarmouth, Isle of Wight
Despite the beautiful weather for the most part, there were some mishaps along the way. Day 1 we were hit whilst moored up in Yarmouth Harbour, Isle of Wight, happily enjoying a few well earnt drinks sat on the foredeck after a hard days sailing. Not our fault I may hasten to add, as some idiot at the helm of a motor yacht appeared to lose control and veer into the side of the Catamaran. Despite the loud crack which reverberated from fibre glass hitting fibre glass we were not sunk and after necessary marine insurance formalities we were able to continue our nautical escapade.

So we jollied on our way across the sea and from time to time interjected the sound of the ocean waves with our dulcet tones as we bellowed out a sea shantey or two. Unsurprisingly, even Rod Stewarts "I am sailing" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1v60FITAfY although not technically a sea shantey, still got an airing.  Even the wild dolphins swam along for a singalong.

Dolphins in the wild!

And so onto our next misfortunate incident. We had been anchored overnight outside Christchurch Harbour and were preparing to set sail the following day. The water level was low and required an expert hand to steer us out of harms way. So why in the hell was I given the helm?? I struggled to keep on course and grounded the boat....oops! Our Captain ordered his crew to the foredeck where we had to huddle together and jump up and down like skippy the bush kangaroo, in order to allow a flow of water to run under us and promptly provide enough bouyancy to lift us off the river bed. After providing several minutes of free entertainment to the curious and highly amused onlookers, we were afloat. It was also here where I managed to capture on camera some shots of the resident swans. (not whilst I was steering)!





I should mention here that certain crew members were often under the influence of drugs.....well a slight exaggeration.....sea sickness tablets to be precise.  Even on the relatively calm waters, this debilitating illness was evident on board and in order to cope a prescription of chemical cosh drugs was regularly and over eagerly administered by the Captain. Mmmm....was this his ploy to keep certain crew members sedated or fear that the newly upholstered cabins would otherwise come under attack from projectile vomit? Either way I was one of the unaffected and it was my cast iron stomach (idiom only....certainly not literally) that meant I could stay down in the galley and prepare food and drink whilst lurching back and forth like a drunken sailor as the waves lashed against the hull.

The days ran leisurely in to one and the sun beat down on us as we sailed along the southern coast of England anchoring in little picturesque bays and ports along our way.

Weymouth

Poole Harbour
Poole Harbour


Lulworth Bay


Lulworth Bay

Lulworth Bay...again




Everything was going swimmingly and I became more and more familiar and comfortable with the workings of the boat and the duties required on the upper deck.. .....and then we lost a sail.



This one!
 and later this one broke....


Ah well "worse things happen at sea".

But despite a depleted crew,  nearly being sunk, running aground, losing two sails and being plagued with illness we all survived and thoroughly enjoyed 10 sun filled days at sea!

I haven't been invited back yet though....; /


And finally.....

Brownsea Island





10 comments:

  1. Oh my, just simply gorgeous photos. It looks like an amazing time (minus the misfortunes of course.) Thanks for sharing the story of your trip as well as your photos with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie...yes I had an amazing time and loved every minute of it. I was exhausted by the end though but would definately do it again given the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi GEM,
    Or should I say 'ahoy there GEM!' That was one heck of an adventure you experienced. And despite the maritime mishaps, you seemed to have had a wonderful time.
    Not only are you an excellent writer, but one mighty fine photographer! Superb photos and a visual delight.
    I'd love to go sailing. Knowing my luck, I'd slip on the poop deck :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gary

    Firstly, sorry for the delay in responding but I have been away in Spain for 10 days and although I had my laptop I was unable to post a comment.....strange. Anyway thank you very much for your compliments, I'm glad you enjoyed the post.If you get the chance to go sailing I highly recommend it. Being out on the open sea gives you a wonderful sense of freedom.

    Ha ha Poop deck indeed......no I'm sure you would be invited to the Captain's tale to regale everyone with your wonderful stories :)

    Take Care

    GEM

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness, that sounds like the trip of a lifetime!

    i'd love to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Slyde

    It was a fantastic trip despite the mishaps. I hope you get the chance to go one day.


    Thanks for dropping by:)

    Take Care

    GEM

    ReplyDelete
  7. AHOY. Your pics are fantastic. The last one is both especially cool and beautiful. Sounds like you had quite the voyage, too, GEM. The only thing missing was the part where you were kidnapped by mermaids. With all that happened to you and the crew, it's amazing you guys survived and had the fighting spirit to stay afloat. I tip my pirate hat off to ya, milady.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well shiver me timbers.....ye olde scroungel, Pirate Kelly has returned. Glad to have you back on board in blogging land!
    Don't go off again for so long or I'll have ye walking the plank ;)

    Fare thee well.

    GEM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha.... Yeah, I've been a very bad pirate this past summer. I missed my ol' blogging pals while I was away. I was getting "blogger burn-out" and plus, I was having a bunch o' fun participating in summer-like things. That's why I was gone for so danged long.

    Aye aye matey on the plank walking. I be hearin' ya. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos and what fun you're gonna have doing something you love. I am afraid of vast amount of water, however. Won't be joining any crews in my lifetime. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...